We truly are a family redefined. We are husband, wife, son, daughter, step children, biological and adopted children and most importantly, Children of God.

A friend pointed out that I needed to update my blog header. After our adoption from Ethiopia, I had updated it stating how the adoption of Sara Joy completed our family. Well... the journey continues. After much prayer, we have decided to follow what we feel is God's calling for us...we went to Ghana with the intention of adopting a four year old girl, Isabella Hope. Little did we know that she would be the catalyst to bringing home not only her, but her half brother and sister. We will now be adding not only Isabella Hope to our family, but also Mary Grace (9) and Gilbert (6) who we will transition to the name Nathaniel Timothy. The shock is wearing off and the JOY and EXCITEMENT are overwhelming. Now truly, our family is complete. The great part of journeying with God, is that it's always an adventure. He knows where we are going, and for us it is all a marvelous surprise. Looking forward to sharing our family adventures as we walk daily through life and as we venture off to Ghana to bring home Mary, Nate and Isabella! It's always an adventure redefining our family!



Thursday, April 21, 2011

Searching for "Ollie"

My, it certainly has been some time since I've been able to get on here and blog.... I guess I have been spending more time managing our bigger family.  It's what's important to me right now.  But, today I'm home with Sara who is sick.  I was home with her yesterday as well, so I had some time to sit down and write.  She is sitting next to me right now, building with Legos and talking to them as she builds.  Sometimes I really wish I could understand all that she is saying to those legos!  She has some pretty animated conversations with them!

All of the kiddos are doing well.  We are looking forward to spending the Easter weekend together.  Cameron has been away on his 6th grade field trip and will be coming back home late tonight / early tomorrow morning.  They went to the Creation Museum in Kentucky.  I think they had a really good time. 

Cameron and Anna got their report cards a c0uple of weeks ago and both kids made the honor roll... I'm very proud of them.  I'm especially proud of Anna.  She had been struggling for awhile with her grades and she turned that around and made the honor roll!  I'm so thrilled for her.  She puts in a lot of work and finally got to see a positive result!  Cameron was inducted into the Jr. Beta Club a few weeks ago.  We were so very proud of him as well.  In order to be inducted, you had to have a score of 90 in all of your classes for the past two years and also be nominated by a teacher.  I was so pleased that Cameron was nominated.  I've got some smart little kids on my hands!

Sara celebrated her 2nd birthday last weekend.  I can't believe my baby girl is two.  I feel terrible that I'm not posting pictures from the party, but my disk with pictures on it is at work, and I'm writing this from home... I'll post pictures later.  Needless to say, she had a good time.  My mome and Denis came to celebrate with us, and so did Tim's dad.  Unfortunately Tim's mom couldn't come as she had some obligations at home, but it was great to see Tim's dad.  We understand other obligations that come with family, so we will head that way soon so she can see the kids again. 

So... I'm searching for Ollie!  If you are friends with me of FaceBook, you know who/what I'm looking for.  If not, you might think we're looking for our next child and we're naming him Ollie.  Well, that is not the case.  For some reason, I was thinking the other day about toys that I had as a child that I absolutely loved.  One that I had was this little yellow ride-on toy named Ollie.  Ollie looked like a yellow banana with big eyes, blue wheels and red yarn hair.  I LOVED Ollie.  Ollie went with us everywhere.  Ollie was the best thing ever... even after I braided his yarn hair and drew with red crayon on his body.  Sara loves ride on toys, so I thought I would go on line and see if I could find her an "Ollie".  Well, if you know anything at all about me, you will know that once I get something in my mind, I'm a bit "obsessed" with it.  I look and look and can't find Ollie.  Ollie was discontinued!!!  How could the greatest ride-on toy on earth be discontinued???  So, I wanted to see if I could get one on ebay.  Sure I could - I think ONE exists in the world and they are selling it for $199.00!!!  Sorry Sara, but Ollie is not worth that much (he is, but I'm not sure Tim would agree :)  I'm bummed about it.  Now I'll have to get her the bumble bee buggy - which I really don't want to get, because it won't measure up to Ollie.

Have you ever had something like that - a childhood toy that you would just LOVE to share with your children?  Maybe Sara wouldn't even like it, I don't know... I just want her to have it.  Ollie brought back so many memories.  I'm not even sure what got me thinking about it... for goodness sake it was almost 40 years ago (that is what Tim said when I was in shock that it was discontinued)!  No matter what got me thinking about it, something did.  I began to realize all of the memories that I had with Ollie.  I rode Ollie in the driveway of our very first house.  I have pictures from when I was small with me and Ollie.  My younger sister had Ollie passed down to her.  We fought over Ollie.  I don't think kids have that same feeling with toys anymore.  Now kids have all of these motorized toys and the newest thing that kids want changes weekly - and here I am 35 years later desperately wanting an Ollie for my child.

So, here is a plea to all of my bloggy friends... if you happen to see an Ollie somewhere - not the rocker Ollie, but the one with wheels, and you can get your hands on it, please let me know.  I so desperately want one.  I bet there are hundreds of them stashed away in basements somewhere with people thinking that no one would want them... well, this mamma does.  I won't pay a fortune for one, but I would pay a reasonable price to get one.  So many memories are held in that little toy!

So, what can I start looking for you, my bloggy friend?  What toy might I have stashed away that you might want for your child but can't find?  They don't make them like they used to, that is for sure.....

If you find an Ollie, please comment... I'd be forever grateful!!

In Christ,
Charity

1 comment:

Paula said...

Well, I don't have an Ollie. But I can understand wanting to share the things you loved with your children. We have quite a few of our childhood things that have been passed to our kids. My favorite one is my baby doll, known as Baby Dawn. She was loved hard, and was missing a leg when my two year old daughter Emily found her in my parents' basement. Didn't matter; she become Emily's favorite and she carried her around one-legged for months. My mom actually found the missing leg and my husband reattached it, but it was always touch and go... Baby Dawn always seemed to be needing limb repair. Anyway, Emily still has her, safely tucked away in her closet.