A while back, I mentioned the situation regarding mine and Tim's workplace. In November of last year, the corporate executives came in and announced (rather unexpected) that our site was being sold from the small molecule network. It was a huge blow to the site, to many of my friends, and truthfully, to the community. Roche is one of the largest (besides the hospital system) and best employers in the Florence area. It was very difficult to swallow. The uncertainty that followed was difficult to manage.
With Tim and I both working for the same company, it was extra difficult for our household. We were not sure what we were going to do. After much prayer (and back and forth emotions), we decided we would just stick it out. We didn't know what the future would hold for us, but we knew it was all in God's hands. Little did we know what HE had in store. In difficult times like these, I've now learned, although it is hard to hold on and go for the ride that God had placed you on, in the end, it's worth the ride because HE is there with you.
So, it has been eight months since the announcement was made. In that time, the development part of our site was closed. We are making the final batches of clinical material but already a good bit of the development people were let go. The ones remaining are currently being absorbed into the small molecule commercial production. We have had an interested party come through the site and ask very detailed questions about the company, the employees and how the site is run. Imagine being in your home when people come through it and critique what you have done. It was not comfortable, but it was in the best interest obviously of the site and of the buyer for this to take place.
Remember back then, when I told you Tim was out of town when the announcement was made?
Well, God answered our prayers in an amazing way this week - while I was out of town. This past Sunday (July 3rd), I traveled to Madrid, Spain for a meeting at one of our drug product sites. While I was there, and announcement was made that we would be having an all employee meeting on Wednesday (and I would not be back in town until Thursday night). Speculation was all over the place as to what was going to be said. I found it ironic that this time, I was out of town.
Well, the company executives came back. They said that they were NOT selling Roche Carolina. Imagine that! I never thought that would happen! God answered our prayers. I never wanted to uproot the kids and have to move to a new area. We like it here. We like our house. The kids like their school. We like the people that we work with. We would have done what we needed to do for our family, but our desire was really to stay put.
Now there are challenges ahead of us. It won't be easy. Getting back into the network that was in the middle of change when we were told we would be sold will be difficult. It will be a LOT of work. More than we were facing. But, the work will be worth it. At least we will have work, and Roche will stay in the community.
Please continue to pray for our colleagues. Some were not forunate enough to stay on with the company. The development area is still being shut down - but for the majority of the company, this was good news. It's hard when you feel like you were rejected by the company. There are hard feelings, even for the ones who stay. But, we are lucky. Roche is a good company with many benefits that can't be matched in other companies. And the announcement keeps my family in place.
Thank you for your prayers! Just thought I'd share the update!