We truly are a family redefined. We are husband, wife, son, daughter, step children, biological and adopted children and most importantly, Children of God.

A friend pointed out that I needed to update my blog header. After our adoption from Ethiopia, I had updated it stating how the adoption of Sara Joy completed our family. Well... the journey continues. After much prayer, we have decided to follow what we feel is God's calling for us...we went to Ghana with the intention of adopting a four year old girl, Isabella Hope. Little did we know that she would be the catalyst to bringing home not only her, but her half brother and sister. We will now be adding not only Isabella Hope to our family, but also Mary Grace (9) and Gilbert (6) who we will transition to the name Nathaniel Timothy. The shock is wearing off and the JOY and EXCITEMENT are overwhelming. Now truly, our family is complete. The great part of journeying with God, is that it's always an adventure. He knows where we are going, and for us it is all a marvelous surprise. Looking forward to sharing our family adventures as we walk daily through life and as we venture off to Ghana to bring home Mary, Nate and Isabella! It's always an adventure redefining our family!



Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"Want Not" Wednesday

Wednesday is hump day for the work week. It is a hard day to get over, and it is especially hard for me to day as I am feeling terribly under the weather. Uuugghhh! I think I'm actually on the hump of getting over my sinus/cold/cough thing though. So, all is good. Anyway, as Wednesday's are typically difficult for me, I decided Wednesdays need to be a day when I intentionally focus on the positive things in my life. Like I could go on and on about how terrible I feel, but that will likely just make me feel worse and make me feel sorry for myself. Many people have "Thankful Thursdays", but I decided I needed it on Wednesday, and all I could come up with is "Want Not" Wednesday. I'm sure I can do better. When my head clears of the congestion fog, maybe I'll actually come up with something better. But for today, it is



Want Not Wednesday



While I am feeling under the weather, I have much to be thankful for. But today, I'm going to concentrate on ONE thing (as there are MANY Wednesdays in a year - I can save some for later!). My Want Not Wednesday has to do with a new friend that I made. There is a bit of history to the story, so I will tell that as well.

I have been struggling with Sunday School. It is a selfish struggle, but I just have not been able to feel a true "part" of our Sunday School class. So much so that I have talked to Tim about the possibility of moving on to another class. We decided we would take some time to pray about it though before we made that decision. I just didn't feel as though I made a connection with anyone in that class. If something were to happen, I'm not sure I would even feel comfortable going to someone from my class and talking to them. I just have no established relationships. I know a lot of it is my fault... I'm not real comfortable making small talk with strangers and am even more uncomfortable walking up to a stranger and starting a conversation. So, we were considering moving to another class.


Well, last week Tuesday, Anna had her first Upward Cheerleading practice. That same night, Cameron was asked to play flag football as well as tackle, because they needed more kids in his grade for the flag football team. I decided to leave it up to him whether or not he wanted to play. He said he did, and I'm so glad that he did. That same night, after Anna had cheerleading practice, Cameron had flag football practice. Tim volunteered to help coach Cameron's team.


Well, as we were sitting watching Cameron practice football, a lady came up to me. I knew I ecognized her, but I didn't remember from where. She said hi, and sat down. She said she was in our Sunday School class, but couldn't remember my name. Well, we got to talking, and she and her husband were in the same situation we were in. They were considering moving to another class. Well, come to find out, her husband was helping coach the football team as well, so he and Tim were out on the field getting to know each other. "H" and I hit it off really well. We ended up laughing so hard the entire time. She was a trip. We had so much in common. We talked about family, children, schedules, interests, etc. She was very easy to talk to. Tim said her husband "N" was real nice as well. So, after practice, we went out separate ways. We didn't get to see them at Sunday school on Sunday as we were traveling.


Well, last night H and I met up again at the football field. It was so nice to see a friendly face there, and spend some time laughing with a friend. We really do have so much in common. Her sense of humor is very simiar to mine. I told her of some things I was doing around the house, furniture I was working on, rooms I was painting and things like that. We got a good laugh out of using spray paint in the garage. We've both done it - and felt the effects of it! I found H to be very down to earth. She seems to be a great Christian lady....someone who was able to maintain a great sense of humor and the ability to laugh at herself after becoming a Christian. She talks about the faults in her family and laughs about them. We share our stories and laugh together. Some people are just very uptight after becoming a Christian... like you can't have any fun anymore... like you can't admit any faults in your family. We talked about getting our two families together. They have three children (12/8/4). Cameron and her son play flag football together so they know each other. I think they would have a great time together. We will definitely need to get together with them.


Isn't it interesting how God plants people in your life at just the right time? Right when you need them for a bit of encouragement? Right when you need them for friendship and fellowship? Me, Tim, H and N were in SS class together, but never really got to know each other. Cameron at the last minute decided to play flag football and ended up on H's son's team. Our families seemed to need encouragement from one another at the very same time, and in my mind, only God brought our families together. I am so thankful for the friendship that seems to being formed between our families. The best part for me is... H knows all about Pearl. She sees her in SS every Sunday and I don't have to explain that whole issue to her. To me that is such a relief. She is supportive of that situation, she is encouraging in our adoption journey, and she is just all around a positive friend.


That is my "Want Not Wednesday" story for today.


PS - any ideas for a special birthday gift for a special soon to be six year old little girl? Anna turns six next week and I'm not sure what to get her. I want her to just LOVE it. Ideas appreciated!

In Christian Love,

Charity



No comments: